Sunday, January 14, 2018

Haiti Guide: The Haiti I Know

Over the past seven years I have been involved in Haiti, having lived here for the past three and a half years. There is no denying that Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas (source: World Bank). But just like nearly everywhere else in the world, Haiti has good places and bad places. Good people and bad people. Good experiences and bad experiences.

For many people in Haiti, life is a daily grind where the pursuit of good health and prosperity is impeded by limited opportunities and scarce resources. At the same time, Haiti has tremendous beauty, both in it's natural landscape and it's people.

In light of the recent vulgar comments by Trump, I wanted to share some of the places I have been to, people I have encountered, and experiences I have had during my time in Haiti.

For those familiar with Haiti, I hope the content below is an accurate representation of Haiti. For those not familiar with Haiti, I hope sharing with you the Haiti I know can help you begin to better understand Haiti.

The amazing team of dedicated, honest, and hard working people I have had the privilege of working with during the past six months in Les Cayes.

When a sick baby didn't show up for their follow-up appointment, our team took it upon themselves to track down the baby to make sure they were OK.

The view from atop the Citadelle, a magnificent fort built by the people of Haiti at the beginning of the 1800s, shortly after Haiti became the first nation to gain it's independence by way of a slave revolt. 

Ile de Rat - Tourist destination off the coast of Cap Haitian.

"Coffee Shop" in southern Haiti.

The owners of the coffee shop. Many people work 6 or 7 days a week just to make ends meet.

Some people live in shacks.

Some people live in modern luxury.

Nearly every student or young person I have met in Haiti is eager to learn. Unfortunately, limited resources and opportunities often prevent them from pursuing desired training and education.

La Vallee de Jacmel kite festival, every year on January 2nd. One of the most peaceful and enjoyable events I have ever attended. 

The Baldé Family that I met back in 2012. They don't have much to offer, but they are some of the kindest and most generous people I know.


I cannot come close to capturing everything I have seen in Haiti in one post. If you are interested in learning more about Haiti and my experiences here, check out the following blog posts:













As always, thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I look forward to hearing your comments and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment