Sunday, July 5, 2015

Bienvenue à Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti








my new office
This past week I said goodbye to my coworkers and friends at CCH in Jacmel and moved to Fond-des-Blancs to start my work with St. Boniface Haiti Foundation (SBHF) as the program coordinator for their Spinal Cord Injury Program.  

Starting anew has been surprisingly challenging.  While I am still in my familiar Haiti, I have been reminded of how much moving to a town, working with a new organization, and having different living conditions can disrupt one's rhythm...or mine in particular.  New schedule.  New friends.  New coworkers.  New responsibilities.  New challenges.  New opportunities.

However, as I settle-in to my new work and new routine, I am getting more and more inspired by the amazing service SBHF's Spinal Cord Injury Program provides to the people in Haiti.

No matter where you live, living with a spinal cord injury is difficult.  The most basic travel must be done in a wheelchair.  Self-care and body maintenance is of the utmost importance.  And every day, there are numerous obstacles one encounters.  In a developing country like Haiti, where good roads are hard to come by, the idea of "handicap accessible" is nearly non-existent, and daily life is a struggle for the healthiest of people, living with a spinal cord injury is beyond challenging.


Over the past five years, SBHF has been dedicated to meeting this challenge.  Adding to their 30 years of experience in Haiti, SBHF works to provide needed care to spinal cord injury patients in Haiti, many of whom were injured in the devastating earthquake in 2010.  Since that time, they have become a leader in providing care to these people in need, housing one of only two such programs in the entire country. This is why I am so grateful to be able to contribute to SBHF's efforts to support these people in need in Haiti.  While the need is great and the challenges are many, I know we will do our best to provide these people who have sustained spinal cord injuries with the best possible care and life-outcomes.

Little by little, we will help ensure that no matter where someone is born, they will have an equal opportunity to live a healthy and prosperous life.

a small hand-painted rock,
welcoming gift from one of the patients


No comments:

Post a Comment