Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Jwe foutbòl (to play soccer)


Well I'm pretty sure my mom doesn't like these pictures, but I know she isn't surprised by them. (I was the injury prone one in the family.)

These are all the result of my first go at "street soccer."  To say the least, it's a little different playing on a sandy, dirty road.  A barb wire fence as one boundary, a concrete wall as the other, and two-foot high, two-foot wide welded structures as goals.  I also can't remember the last time I played soccer.  I tried to overcome my this lack of skill with aggressive, fast "play"...well let's call it athletic running with some occasional soccer mixed in.  And since I don't really have a "take it easy" button when it comes to competition, I can't say I'm the least bit surprised that I ended up with these nice parting gifts from the game.

Despite how it may appear, and despite my lack of skill, I really enjoyed it.  The guys I played with had encouraged me to join them and I'm glad I did.  They play 3v3, with a goalie on each team.  The "field" is maybe 60 ft long and 20 ft wide.  The sandy dirt doesn't bode well for aggressive change of directions.  Something I will certainly have to adjust to.  And since my ability to run, my only possible advantage on the field, is practically a disadvantage, I've got to start working on my footwork!

I've noticed this on previous trips, but there is an odd benefit of falling down or getting a cut.  It gives me the opportunity to show that blans (white persons aka foreigners) are not fragile and have more similarities to the people here than differences.   

All in all, even though I was definitely below par, it was great to do some physical activity besides distance running.  As I was leaving, many of the guys said, "demen?" (again tomorrow?)  Maybe.... I will have to wait and see how the blisters on my big toes feel.
 

6 comments:

  1. Kevv... Street soccer is no joke. Got some nice battle wounds! I bet the goalie gets torn up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nattt. It was great. The goal is so small that the goalie only uses his feet....no diving on that stuff!

      Delete
  2. Remember when you tore your ACL playing womens lacrosse? LOL...I mean we felt bad but seriously LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you took 6 months off after that one!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete